ABOUT THE ROLE:
Do you want to make a difference by building a next-generation data processing and analytics platform in the cloud in a greenfield environment? Holland and Barrett is a successful business focusing on making people healthier and happier. We started in 1870 and today, we are a highly profitable global Health and Wellness retailer with more than 1,000 shops worldwide, and we are the largest health and wellness retailer in the UK.
You will join the Data Science and Analytics team in London. You will work closely with Data Engineers and Business Stakeholders on delivering value, ranging from topics like supply chain optimisation to loyalty schemes. You will be working both internally and with business stakeholders. Long-term, you will work on optimising and automating the Data Science workflow to build the basis for our prescriptive analytics and artificial intelligence strategy where self-optimising solutions make independent, intelligent decisions.
Holland and Barrett are committed to its transformation into a technology and data-driven business. We hired an outstanding CTO with a long history of success in turning retailers into technology-driven businesses. We are bringing together highly talented and experienced people like yourself to build our data processing and analytics platform. We love the cloud, data, analytics and data science, and building our own solutions. We embrace the continuing evolution of Data Science and want to be at the forefront of building repeatable, automated Data Science and Machine Learning solutions to reduce or remove the Data Scientist’s efforts on time-consuming, low impact, repeat tasks like data wrangling or rebuilding models with new data.
You have experience in solving real-world problems with machine learning using a variety of tools. You know how to solve a problem as well as how to deploy it into production, measuring and updating it as needed over time. You love working closely with data engineers and others in cross-functional teams to develop solutions iteratively. Importantly, you are pragmatic and experienced, able to identify and solve common problems swiftly and effectively with tools and libraries and you don’t reinvent the wheel.
- Collaborate with business and other stakeholders
- Help (alongside Senior Data Scientists) translating business ideas to measurable and optimisable machine learning problems
- Help plan delivery
- Exploration and ad-hoc preparation
- Feature engineering
- Collaboration with Data Engineers for automation or additional ingests
- Define metrics and measures
- Identifying relevant algorithms and libraries
- Selecting candidate algorithms based on experience and knowledge
- Prototyping solutions to narrow options and parameters
- Hyperparameter Tuning
- Evaluating algorithms
- Collaborating with Platform, Data and Software Engineers for production deployment and automation
- Collaborating in developing repeatable framework for common ML problems
- Open minded
- Professional experience in a comparable role for at least 2 years
- Analytical background and degree, e.g. Maths, Statistics, Data Science, etc.
- Working with Structured and unstructured data
- Data Exploration (Python, R, SQL)
- Proficient in at least one of R or Python
- Have knowledge of Machine Learning Algorithms (supervised, unsupervised)
- Statistical knowledge (Distributions, Hypothesis Testing)
DESIRABLE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Retail sector
- Spark and MLlib (SparkR, sparklyr, pyspark)
- Git for version control
- Working in a cloud environment
- Experiment Design
- Experience in several of the following domains: Recommender Systems, Deep Learning, Learn-to-Rank, Regression, Classification, Clustering
- Experience in implementation of personalization and recommendations algorithms.
WHO WE ARE
You probably recognize the name Holland & Barrett as a well-known high street store, but did you know that things are changing pretty quickly and we're on an exciting journey?! We have a vision to become a leading player in the global health & wellness industry. Our stores are the place where we can engage face-to-face with our customers and our skilled, trusted store colleagues are a vital part of our success.
Our store colleagues are vital to our success. Yes, you will need to be able to carry out regular activities like replenishing shelves, keeping the store clean and tidy and serving customers, but there's so much more to it than that!
Our store colleagues all need to be able to give our customers the advice they need to live healthier, happier lives. And we'll make sure you're ready for whatever question, query or lifestyle goal is thrown your way by asking you to complete industry-leading operational and “Qualified to Advise” training. The training will stretch you, but it will turn you into a health and wellness expert, ready to advise our customers on whatever they need. If you want to go on and specialize in sports, nutrition, beauty or aromatherapy, we can help you to do that too. You'll also be guiding customers through their health journey by offering a diverse range of simple testing solutions (in applicable stores).
To be successful, we'd like you to show us that you have:
- The ability to work well within a team
- A compassionate and consultative approach to customers
- A positive attitude and driven nature
- A passion and enthusiasm for our products, nutritional supplements, natural beauty and healthy living
- The ability to undertake computer-based study to support the product knowledge required to achieve an accredited qualification
- Basic IT skills to use iPads to review products and solutions with customers
- The ability to effectively multi-task